Tuesday, February 06, 2007

To Russia With Love

I've decided to become... a Russian peasant. This replaces my previous wish to become mid-1700s French nobility. (Best. hair. ever. Plus amazingly huge dresses. My fondest wish is that someday giant hoop skirted dresses with elaborate decoration will come back into style so that I can wear something like this around. OK, maybe corsets wouldn't be that fun, but they'd be worth it for a little while.)







This isn't exactly what I meant but for some unknown reason people don't put pictures of 1700s French nobility dresses online. (This all started because of history class and "Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution", which describes every style from that time period in great detail.

http://home.att.net/~liliuo/images/gaynor2.jpg

But I'm digressing (surprise surprise). It was Gucci's spring/summer '07 collection made me fall hard for Russia. OK, so maybe Russian peasants didn't actually look as good as this, but a girl can dream.











I love these belts and the patterns and the shape. I love Russia. I would even be happy if I could just look like this:













Oh,



. I am dissuading myself from hopping on a plane by the fact that weather.com tells me it's currently ... 9 degrees. Wait, that's not actually too much colder than Boston. AND they have snow!?




If there's no posts for a few months, I think you'll know why.


[all pretty pictures of Russian dresses from style.com, nesting dolls from http://www.therussianshop.com/russhop/matryoshkas/matphotoviatka.jpg (can you say that 5 times fast?, and map from googling "Russia map." You'll find it if you really want to.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home